Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!
Have you ever gone to a website and then a stupid popup shows up that you can not get rid of? E.g. they don’t give you a close option
What you need to do is
1) Open up FireBug (or whatever) and find the “inspection” tool
Once you click this, you can then hover your mouse over the web site to highlight certain elements. Do this until you find the annoying box:
When you’ve got this highlighted, look back at the FireBug window and you’ll see a piece of code highlighted. This code is what actually makes the box (sort of). It’s actually eaiser if you select the code from FireBug and have it auto highlight the web page:
Then just right click the code and “Delete Element”. Now the box is gone!
Now lets remove the opaque background blocking your clicks. This is pretty simple because if you go back to FireBug, click on its inspection tool and then click anywhere on the webpage, you will be clicking on the overlay.
Just right click delete element again. And now you can view the page and click on the links!!
Have fun with FireBug. If you ever screw the page up, just refresh 🙂
So I’ve decided to take it upon myself to get deep down in the dirt and grime of all this server management jazz. At my job, everything has pretty much been streamlined and it’s just basic management which I have staff to handle. Though, I’m always wanting to know how exactly things work when it comes to software, the network, etc; so I’ve decided to setup a home network of the following:
– Linux Database Server
– Linux Web Server
– Linux SMTP Server
– Windows Active Directory (AD) (all Linux / Windows systems will authenticate against)
– Distributed File Share (DFS) with Windows Server 2008 (Possibly 2012 R2 if I can get my hands on it, the college expired my free software subscription)
– Hyper-V fail over cluster (need to purchase another computer or just use my crappy labtop)
– Redundant backup system (not sure on the software I’ll use)
– Maybe throw in an MS SQL Server database server
By the end of this, I’m probably going to get the system admin certs for Linux and MS. But the main goal is just to gain the knowledge. Anyhow, day one has consisted of:
Setup to CentOS 6.4 VMs one using an external network adapter (live to the world) and the other an internal network adapter (only accessible by the Virtual Machines (VMs) on my computer. The Linux Web Server will use the external network since it needs to be accessible to the world while the Database server will use the internal network. (Better security)
So that’s it for tonight, not really much, but a start. Next steps will be:
1) Upgrade MySQL and setup the my.cnf file to use all 2 GB of RAM on the database server.
2) Upgrade Apache 2 and setup httpd.conf to allow maximum connections and use 2 GB of RAM.
3) Setup a dummy website and have it connect locally to the MySQL database on the other server.
GoDaddy called me today and said that they screwed up and allowed us to add an already existing domain (on some other clients certificate) to our certificate and that I needed to remove it. Ok. Done.
Godaddy: thanks, you have 24 hours to install your the newly generated certificate.
Thanks Godaddy, it’s Friday evening and my IT guys are out for the next 2 weeks. (It’s actually not that hard to do, but come on…)
You can just follow the online instructions to get the certificate up and running on IIS 7: http://help.godaddy.com/article/4801#Install_IIS7 So that got three of my sites back on using SSL.
Now when I went to update our IIS 6 websites, it wouldn’t work… So I called GoDaddy, maybe they’d give me some support.
Godaddy: Sorry sir, we don’t support how to export the SSL certificate from IIS 7 to IIS 6.
Me: Oh, that’s all I have to do? *hang up*
So I just went back into IIS 7, exported my certificate to a .pfx, then just imported it to IIS 6. Bam, all my IIS 6 websites were using SSL again 🙂
Since I develop web applications, I feel obligated to make sure my applications work in all sorts of browsers. (Hell I even still check IE 6 from time to time…). I don’t really test Chrome our Safari that much though since most of my users of my major applications are IE and/or FF users. Anyhow, Firefox is being a pain with all these 6 week releases and I didn’t want to deal with it so I stopped testing past 4.0. Today I opened up my browser and it was asking for me to download Firefox 7.0! *Sigh* Ok Firefox, you win:
I am now running IE 6, IE 7, IE 9 (has compatibly modes for IE 7,8,9) and Firefox 3.6, 4, 6 and 7. (I couldn’t find the download for Firefox 5. Apparently it had a lot of security issues so they probably don’t want you to have it.) How did I do this? Easy, you just create a new profile for each Firefox and install each version in a separate location. Assuming you already have one version of Firefox installed:
- Download all of the versions that you want to work with
- Install each version into a separate location
- Do a custom install to do this.
- Make sure that you do not check “open after install”
- Create a new profile to use for each version
- Create Desktop Shortcuts to run the different versions of Firefox
- Right click on Desktop and click New -> Shortcut
- For the path enter the location of an installed version of Firefox and open it with the correct profile name you created
- “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefox 4firefox.exe” -P Firefox4
- Repeat previous steps for each version you want.
And you get: